So what exactly is a children’s museum?
“Children’s museums are places where children learn through play and exploration in environments designed just for them.” (Association of Children’s Museums)
Here are some key components:
• Hands on
• Designed with children in mind
• Encourages imaginative play
• Learning happens through play
• Signs are for parents- not kids
• A resource to families about early childhood development and milestone
• A broad focus of early learning (reading, math, humanities, and the community)
Why another Museum in Des Moines?
Besides the fact that Des Moines is the Capital and the largest city in Iowa, museums are good for the economy. Lots of great info here.